I am pleased to announce a FreshPorts design contest. The prize? A trip to BSDCan 2007. Included are airfares, accommodation, and entry to BSDCan 2007, up to a value of CAD$1000.
Take the existing FreshPorts website and give it a face lift. Improve it. Keep in mind that the basic information must remain the same. If you want to move stuff around on the pages, great. But don’t remove any information.
A few details:
- Contest is open to everyone. Employees and family of FreshPorts and BSDCan staff are excluded.
- We reserve the right to not award the prize if we don’t get a submission we want to use.
- All submissions become our property (we need that in order to know we can use it if it wins).
- We will arrange and pay for the airfare, on campus accommodation, and entry to the conference to a value of CAD$1000.
- The prize is not transferable. It must be used by the submitter.
- Passports, visas, insurance, etc, are not covered by this award.
- We will publish all the submissions, including your name, email address [optional], and website [optional]. If you provide the optional bits, we will publish them unless you say otherwise.
- You must declare that you have created this work and therefore transfer to us
all rightsthe unconditional right to use the work.
- Our decision will be final. No discussion will be entered into. No substitutions will be available.
- The winner will be required to answer a skill testing question before the prize is awarded to them.
- If such a contest is illegal where you live, sorry, you cannot participate.
The ideal solution will involve CSS changes only, but that’s ideal. You are welcome to change the HTML we are using now.
Features to consider are:
- pleasing to the eye
- easy to maintain
- quality of code
Dates and notes to keep in mind:
- Contest opens 1 Feb 2007
- Contest closes on 28 Mar 2007
- Submissions will not be published until after the contest closes
- Public comments on submissions will be welcomed
Your submission should include the CSS and sample web pages. The CSS must be in its own file (or files). Please show use what the following web pages would look like. That is, you should demonstrate what your design will look like for the following URLs:
Please send your submissions via email. Remember to include your declaration that of ownership transfer. I would prefer a URL to a tarball I can download.
I don’t want to go overboard with the rules, but that’s about it. We will act in good faith. We expect all participants to do so as well.